Our Curriculum: Overview
Consistent with Philadelphia University’s overall mission to provide professional training with a rigorous Liberal Arts and Business core, approximately half the courses within the Graphic Design Communication curriculum are in Liberal Arts and Business, to provide a broad-based education and to foster life-long learning. The other half of the courses are within the Graphic Design Communication major.
Spurred by the new DEC curriculum, we have made some significant changes to the Graphic Design curriculum. In addition to accomodating the four DEC core courses, highlights to the curricular changes/improvements include:
- Foundation in Web Design & Strategy is now a required course
- History of Graphic Design is now a required course
- Graphic Design Theory is a new required course
- Introduction to Photography for Graphic Design is still required
- Art History requirement includes History of Western Art I. and History of Western Art II.
- There are two Typography courses in the core Graphic Design sequence: Design III. is Introduction to Typography and Design IV. is Advanced Typography
- There are two Brand Identity courses in the core Graphic Design sequence: Design V. will now be Introduction to Brand Identity and Design VI. will now be Advanced Brand Identity